Wednesday, November 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some

My corner of Brooklyn has suffered a few tragedies this year on the Red Hook side. We lost the beer milkshakes at Schnäck and we lost Lido’s entirely. But we have gained some things on Smith Street that have made me a bit more optimistic. Bar Great Harry got a middle and last name (as well some good beers on tap) and now Sample is serving Absinthe.

Apparently, I’ve been living under a rock because I didn’t even realize until last week that Absinthe had been readily available in New York City since June. The liquor was banned in the United States in 1912 because of the hallucinogenic effects of its primary ingredient, wormwood.

So what say you neighbors? Shall we give this “Lucid” a go? I wonder if it’s as tasty as the homemade stuff we used to drink back in Atlanta.

1 comment:

sondra_bot said...

I wanna try the absinthe!