Sunday, October 4, 2009

The pros and cons of shows in New York

One of the things I enjoy the most about living in New York, and it’s probably evident from the posts you see from me, is all the great bands that breeze through this city that I might otherwise never see.

In the past 10 days, I’ve seen Phoenix, Fever Ray and Mono (the Japanese one). Here’s why each show was awesome and why you should be jealous.

Though the Phoenix show ran rampant with dude bros -- I’m talking hordes of early 20’s, backwards-hat wearing, straight up douche bags -- they played a fantastic encore including a song they co wrote with Air for The Virgin Suicides score called "Playground Love" and the commercially friendly “1901” not once, but twice!

Fever Ray was amazing but I couldn’t see anything. Seriously, it feels like the only people who like the same bands as me are guys over six feet tall and they all get to shows before I do.

Luckily, there were giant rave-type lasers to keep me entertained. And the sound was lush and bass-heavy. Also, this is Fever Ray’s only and last tour so I’m feeling very lucky that I caught them.

And Mono, well I guess the only bad thing about this show was that I saw them earlier this year with the Wordless Music Orchestra. Note to self – you’re never going to have a better experience seeing a band than when they’re backed by a 23-piece orchestra.

Still, they were stellar, as usual. Mono’s songs come in waves of all sizes, starting out with small rollers crashing gently onto the shore and building to epic tsunami-sized giants, the types of waves that carry sharks with them to snack on surfers.

Check out “Ashes in the Snow” from their latest album Hymn to the Immortal Wind to see just what I mean. And stay tuned to Lazy Robots for your habitual dose of cool music, art and adult diaper happenings from the NYC!

No comments: