Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Let's go to the beach, deer!

Last Saturday night, Yer coyly asked me if I wanted to go to the beach the next morning. It took a quarter of a millisecond for my mind to cancel everything I had planned and my mouth to blurt out "Yes!"

Thus began my first official New York weekend beach excursion.

The next morning turned out to be closer to noon but I was still game when I awoke and a car arrived outside my apartment promptly after.

After more than a handful of stops for supplies (read: booze), we finally arrived at our destination: Robert Moses State Park. We spent a few easy hours on the sand drinking white wine and margaritas while watching the waves wash ashore and recede. We buried Yer in the sand, we dipped into the icy Atlantic only to be assaulted by brutal waves and a lifeguard yelled at me for swimming out too far; all in all, a fantastic day.

On the way back to the car, we spotted a deer lazily munching on some grass while fellow weekend beach goers looked on or away. Neither seemed to care or be disturbed by the other's presence. It merited a photo from me because I've never seen a deer interacting so idly with people. Sadly, the animal didn't appear entirely healthy.

Note to self: Go back to the beach real soon and next time, bring a kite, a boogie board and deer food!

No comments: