Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bots weigh in on the counterfeit bag discussion


I don't know about you but why is it that I don't frigging care whether or not Chinatown is a counterfeit ring for fake luxury items? (See discussion on Gothamist) Maybe it's because I'm a po, struggling middle class grad student with school loans that will more than likely go to the grave with me and only see the luxury industry trade as another way to say, "hey, see what i got, I'm rich, bitches." I try not to let labels and logos define me, thanks.

So, what is the big deal? Are these fake bags taking away from New York's economy? More importantly, will those mid-west tourists buy the real thing if the cheaper option isn't out there? I don't think so. Granted, I'm anti-mistreatment of Chinese/3rd-world children, but ask yourselves, what kind of sneakers are you wearing? Ever shopped at the Gap? Wal-Mart? and honestly lets get real, it's easy to say, stop buying all these things but the real question is where would these children end up? How will they earn a living, prostitution, slavery?

And secondly, who really friggin cares about Chanel, Gucci, Prada . . . like they are so sad and struggling? And at the end of the day, doesn't the fake bag only elevate the branding of those luxury labels?

No comments: