Monday, September 10, 2007

VMAs and new Diplo mix

It’s 12:49 a.m. on Monday morning and I can’t get on Perez Hilton. That may seem odd because: a) since when do I care about what Perez has to say? And b) why is his site down? But it makes perfect sense if you watched the VMAs and caught Britney’s “comeback” performance.

Far be it for me to blog about Britney Spears but what happened? I’ve seen train wrecks. I’ve seen car accidents. But I’ve never seen anything quite so accidental, tragic and pathetic.

Did she also fire her stylist when she dumped her manager and last assistant? Who told her she was ready to go on national television in her underwear?

And, who convinced poor Brit that it was cool to take a Xanax, or whatever downer she decided to pop, before that performance? She paraded herself around with the enthusiasm and vigor of a nine hundred year old corpse.

Sorry babe, I think this is the end for you.

On a lighter note, if you think “Umbrella” is the jam, and evidently you do as Rihanna cleaned house tonight, check out this mix that Diplo did for Pitchfork, which I found on Discobelle last week. It also features his version of “Stronger” by Kanye West, another VMA heavyweight.

If you dig the idea of M.I.A. over Battles mixed with a little Orbital, White Stripes and Justice and topped off with Bart Simpson’s “Bartman,” this is the mix for you.

(Did anyone out there who reads this blog think that I could actually go one month without posting something about Diplo?)

On a closing note, I don’t watch a lot of MTV so I was somewhat shocked tonight to find out that Justice’s "D.A.N.C.E." was up for video of the year. Expectedly, it did not win (Rihanna did) but I’m still surprised that it was even nominated. Vive la France!

1 comment:

yer_bot said...

thanks pitchfork and diplo. diplo is god, i swear.