Saturday, October 13, 2007

Vh1 Hip Hop Honors?

As everyone knows I am not a fan of contemporary rap but I found myself watching a rerun of the VH1 Hip Hop Honors show and I couldn't turn the channel! Yeah like everyone else I've seen the poster advertisements while waiting for my faithful six train in the morning or the persnickety L train on the way to the studio, and I thought wow what cool illustrations, but I don't think I'll watch the show. I was wrong.

What some of you may not know is that I was an avid fan of hip hop during my preteen years. I have an aunt who is only five years older than me so during my formative years she was like a big sister. So, of course I wanted to be just like her. She was listening to Salt n' Pepa, LL Cool J, Whodini, Big Daddy Kane, Queen Latifah so I listened too. This is where Hip Hop Honors touched me. I turn it on and the first Honoree is Missy Elliot who is the most creative performer, producer, video star to come along in a long while. Then I hear, Whodini was being honored and I just had to see it. I wasn't disappointed, I found myself singing along to all the classics complete with the old school dance moves. It took me back, I wonder if this is the music I'll be blasting when I'm eighty, making all the kids roll their eyes and sigh "Not again!"Other honorees included Snoop Dogg, the movie Wild Style (see if you have the chance, it's awesome), and A Tribe Called Quest. If you're like me and you remember rap before the era of gangsta you'll wanna see this show.

No comments: