Wednesday, May 16, 2007

What kind of fuckery is this?

The genius in naming your blog “Lazy Robots” lies in the fact that when people raise eyebrows because you haven’t posted in days, even weeks, you can simply point to the name and say, “You were warned.”

To make up for my recent blogging slackery, I bring you not one, but two posts about a few shows I caught recently.

Last week, I checked out a new music venue in the meat packing district called the Highline Ballroom. This venue opened just slightly over two weeks ago on April 30th. According to the press release on their website, the decor is inspired by the forthcoming High Line Park and they plan to donate “$.25 from every ticket sold to Friends of the High Line, the non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and reuse of the High Line elevated rail structure.”

That’s a concept I feel pretty good about supporting. It’s a nice, clean good space, with new lighting and sound that holds 700 people. We were there to see miniscule, gigantically-coiffed British singing sensation Amy Winehouse. Opening up for her was the elfish, red glittery-haired Patrick Wolf.

Amy sounded great. She played my favorite track of hers, “Fuck Me Pumps.” My friend’s main complaint about the show was that she seemed somewhat apathetic throughout most it. She showed some enthusiasm during her last song, “I’m No Good,” maybe because she was glad to be done or maybe because the audience responded particularly well to it. We agreed that apathy is part of her shtick though and in the end my only real problem was that she only played about 45 minutes.

Like my fellow robots, I caught one of the Bjork concerts the previous week. I went to the Saturday show at the United Palace Theatre. That set clocked in at a whopping 75 minutes and she did a ONE-SONG ENCORE. Who ever heard of a one-song encore? Is this par for the course now? Dropping big bucks to see your favorite artist play an hour if you’re lucky?

Of course, I still love you Bjork and Amy. See you next time.

No comments: