Thursday, August 16, 2007

Jimmy Aaja!



When it rains, it pours and it’s been a torrential downpour at work this week. In the past four days, I put in a grueling 40 hours there. It’s a bleak existence amplified by my F train commute home to the sounds of Mogwai, (yes Jake, some people do still listen to Mogwai) The Radio Department and Johnny Cash’s “Hurt.”

But I did run across one thing this week on Discobelle that brought me a good amount of Joy: M.I.A.’s video for “Jimmy” off her new album Kala.

“Jimmy” is a cover of an 80’s Disco Hindi song (“Jimmy Jimmy Aaja”) from a Bollywood film called Disco Dancer. If you really want to, you can check out the original song here. M.I.A.’s version is pretty much a straight cover done in a different language. It’s extremely fun and catchy and I’ve busted a groove to it in my living room many times since acquiring the album. Can’t wait to hear all the club remixes of this jam!

By the way, M.I.A. is playing Terminal 5 on October 19 and Justice is playing the following night. I love New York! Tickets for both go on sale today at noon.

No comments: