Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bless Up at Halcyon

Many years ago in Hotlanta, my roomie played a gig in a clothing store in Little Five Points. As my friend played records, the store employees passed out beers. I was there for a while.

A few hours and a very expensive pair of shoes that were at least two sizes too small later, I knew I had made a new friend and this wouldn't be the last time we met. It was my first "drunken shopping" encounter.

Enter "Bless Up" sessions, a weekly in-store performance by dj's of the local variety and sometimes beyond at DUMBO record shop, Halcyon hosted by Liondub. It's BYOB and for a store, Halcyon boasts an impressive sound system. My favorite week is the third Thursday of the month when the Dub War crew drops by but any week is well worth checking out.

Like the great Justin Timberlake once said, "what goes around comes around" and Halcyon is just the place to make up for all that music that you steal by drunkenly picking up a few pieces of good old-fashioned vinyl. Your ears and your karma will thank you for it.

No comments: